Thinking time is an interesting topic, particularly in the context of planning your outdoor space. With a deadline in mind, you may ask upon enquiry for our lead time to install your patio or driveway. But have you thought about your lead time as a client?
Thinking time is inevitable when transforming a garden into a space of your dreams.
Your first step is to look for a creative garden designer to conceptualise your vision through a well-executed design. This initial step can take weeks or months. It takes time to find the right designer for you and to get a finished design you are happy with.
This finished design is a combination of your designer’s creativity, and your decisions on various elements of the garden. Your chosen garden designer may ask you the following questions:
Layout and functionality
- Who is the space for? Will it be just yourself using the space or are there children and pets you want to cater for?
- What is the purpose of the space? This is all about what you want from your outdoor area. Whether that is to entertain, spend time with family or to relax.
- Will you be using the space all year round? This will impact the layout of your garden design. Your designer will look at how you can make the most of where the suns rises and sets.
- High or low maintenance? This decision will affect material selection such as paving, and your recommended planting scheme. Not only should your garden look great, but also suit your lifestyle.
With so many paving products on the market it can be difficult to make a choice. This is where thinking time can really come into play. You will look at:
- Colour options
- Texture variations
- Paving type – natural stone or porcelain
- Maintenance requirements
- Style – what works best with the design and your home
- Price – what paving will work with your budget
This is the time to request samples from either your designer or direct from the manufacturer.
This is everything you want in your garden over and above the paved areas. These finishing touches include:
- Fire pits
- Hot tubs
- Water features
- Plants and soft landscaping
- Furniture and soft furnishings – this will create a cohesive space and make the garden cosier for your enjoyment in the Winter months.
Once you have confirmed all the elements above, then it is time to find a reputable landscaper to turn your garden design from a dream into a reality.
Choosing A Landscaping Company
Finding your chosen landscaper is a time-consuming task, including meeting them to review the space and your agreed design. Following this consultation, the landscaping company will need time to produce an installation quote. Then, your final element of thinking time is deciding between the quotes you receive.
This is where it is crucial to research the companies, looking at their:
- Portfolios of work
- Reviews and testimonials
- References – you can request these if you would like to speak to a client and see their work first-hand.
This is the time to consider how you ‘got on’ with the landscaper at the meeting and how well they listened to your needs.
This is not just about looking at the price.
It is about checking all quotes are priced for the same specification of works and that they install to industry guidelines (British Standards).
Your Timeline Reality
From choosing a reputable garden designer and landscaper, through to confirming products and finishing touches, you have a lot of thinking time and decisions to make. So, what is a realistic deadline?
From placing initial enquiries, at a minimum you could be looking at a timeline of 3-6 months.
Spending this time on planning your outdoor area ensures the money you are investing in your outdoor space will be worth it. This thinking time allows you to create the space of your dreams and is hugely important to getting exactly what you want, and more!
So, make sure to factor in your thinking time, and question anyone who says your space could be completed in less than a month.
If you need any help with designing the garden of your dreams, or installing your functional outdoor space, get in touch here. Putting the ‘WOW’ into our client’s gardens and outdoor spaces is our speciality.
Request Your Brochure
Don’t just take our word for it, click here to request your free copy of the Aura Landscapes brochure.
View projects, hear from clients and see how your journey will be with Aura Landscapes.
You can choose to receive the brochure in the post or as a downloadable PDF.